The mission of the Department of Chemistry at Columbus State University is:
- to provide students with a thorough undergraduate education in chemistry which will enable them to compete in a global society to prepare students for graduate and/or professional schools
- to prepare students for graduate and/or professional schools
- to prepare students for teaching careers in chemistry in Georgia and beyond
- to prepare students for research/technical careers in the chemical industry in the region and beyond
- to provide students with a graduate education in chemistry which will enable them to enter into a PhD program and or workforce requiring advanced skills and knowledge in chemistry
- to support the Master of Science Education program
- to provide service to our geographic region in the chemical sciences through university-community partnerships
We are committed to the growth and expansion of the department, and will continue to evolve in directions which best serve the needs of our students and the regional community. Building upon recent successes, we are currently focusing on strengthening the department in four primary areas.
- Increasing enrollment, retention, progression, and graduation in undergraduate and graduate chemistry programs.
- Acquisition and development of resources necessary to expand the nascent Master of Natural Science Chemistry Track
- Increasing research productivity of faculty and students in the areas of analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, polymer chemistry, and materials science.
- Establishment of new formal relationships with partners from local chemical industries, governmental agencies, professional societies, and educational organizations.